Saturday, September 3, 2011

Mental - Get An Oxygen Tank

Get An Oxygen Tank was the first Mental record that I listened to.  I remember the first time that I heard this record I thought I was playing it at the wrong speed when the vocals kicked in.  It took me a second to realize that I was in fact playing it on the correct speed, that's just what dudes vocals sounded like.  It grew on me very quick however, and I ended up listening to this record all the time.



I picked this record up at a show in Chicago from Joe Lifeline's record distro soon after the record was released.  Mental went on to play a handful of great shows in Chicago, until the bands demise.  Well, all of their shows were great except the last show they played in Chicago.  This was just after the edge breaks, and people were already bagging on them for their change in sound.  Anyway, the show was super awkward.  Most of the kids bailed before they played (alot of kids who LOVED them the year before) and there were defiantly some home made shirts that read "Mental Boston Straight Edge....SIKE".  Granted that's funny...but yeah, really awkward vibe at the show.  

700 pressed on Yellow 


Mental will always be a favorite hardcore band of mine.  I don't care what happened towards the end, or all the hype surrounding the band, I just love their music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment